Unregister crash listener?

Dmitriy Popkov

12 Oct, 2017 08:03 AM

Hi,

how can I unregister crash listener under Android?

Discussion here:
https://support.hockeyapp.net/discussions/problems/35628-android-un...
is useless

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Wei Wang on 12 Oct, 2017 09:52 AM

Hi Dmitriy,

As Thomas mentioned in that thread, Our SDK doesn't offer a method for this. Why do you want to unregister the crash listener? If you don't want to receive crashes, you can click Don't Send when the send crash dialog prompts.

Regards,
    Wei Wang

2. 2 Posted by Dmitriy Popkov on 12 Oct, 2017 11:43 AM

Wei Wang, I want to unregister crash listener cause I need it.

Several people asked you for this feature, but you ignore our needs. It's very strange behaviour. I really do not understand why you ask me so strange questions.

Ok,

1. We do not use any prompts. Crash reporting automated, of course.
    2. Application behaviour controlled by external downloaded configuration files.
    3. And, yes, behaviour should be different. App should not report bugs under monkey and/or functional testing environments, but should report in production.
    4. So app always register default listener on app startup, and then should disable it in some cases. And, yes, we receive this info asynchronously and "not registering on startup" is not an option.
  3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Matthias Wenz on 13 Oct, 2017 03:59 AM

Hi Dmitriy,
    I believe Wei was asking you about the motivation why you want to later disable the uncaught exception handling. So far we haven't had high demand for this feature, and when we heard requests - for example for the scenario of disabling it in testing environments - it almost always turned out to be easier and safer for users to leverage the build configuration to not even enable the HockeyApp CrashManager in these circumstances instead of rely on runtime changes to the exception handler.

If you want to do this, you have a couple of options:
    - If you merely need to better categorize crashes from different environments, you can also employ a CrashManagerListener to add metadata like a user id or description to the crash report - we believe it is better to have all crash reports in order to understand why your app crashed - even in e.g. testing environments - You can create your own UncaughtExceptionHandler and replace HockeyApps one with it - You can extend the ExceptionHandler in HockeyApp with a method to restore the original UncaughtExceptionHandler instance

The last one of course requires some changes to the HockeySDK codebase - it is open source with a liberal license and we are happy to accept pull requests which help move it forward for all app developers.

Kind regards,
    Mat

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac