Logs not symbolicated for UWP app

Gourav

12 Oct, 2017 07:41 AM

Hi,

I have one UWP app which will be uploaded to store soon. I am using Visual Studio for development. I have one account on hockey app which I have successfully linked to my UWP. Crashes are logged correctly.

But, the problem is those logs have addresses. Not the English readable logs.

I have followed the UWP page on hockey app website. I have created pdb files for x86 configuration & picked from ILC folder and uploaded to hockey app. and still logs are not correct.

basically QE are testing app build taken from jenkins and I am developing in my box. I am creating pdb locally and uploading it to hockey app website.

Am i doing something wrong?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by JasonPann on 12 Oct, 2017 08:09 AM

Hi Gourav,

It probably caused by the symbol file you uploaded doesn't match the build, you could verify it first according to this kb: Verify Build ID of Symbols
    If it does so, you could try to build include .pdb file and then the build and .pdb file will be corresponding.

Best Regards,
    Jason

2. 2 Posted by Adobe Systems on 12 Oct, 2017 08:16 AM

Hi Jason,

I have uploaded the correct pdb files now from jenkins only.
    Few logs are coverted for one build version (41) but same I did for 39 build version and they are not converted into English readable formats.
    I have checked the checksum in "Files section" and at the end of logs in <> they are same.

Log: https://rink.hockeyapp.net/manage/apps/582122/app_versions/10/crash...

Can you please help?

Thanks,
    Gourav

3. 3 Posted by Adobe Systems on 12 Oct, 2017 08:37 AM

And here is the "File section" which has the checksum as it is in the logs end in <> section.

Thanks,
    Gourav

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Stefan Haubold on 12 Oct, 2017 01:53 PM

Hi Gourav,

as mentioned in the other ticket created for this issue:

it looks like your symbols weren't processed correctly after upload. I just retrigged symbol processing and requed your crashes and it looks good now.

Let me know if you see any issues.

Stefan

5. 5 Posted by Adobe Systems on 12 Oct, 2017 01:57 PM

Hi Stefan,

1. As you requeued this time, now after this again I need to raise a ticket for the same?
    2. Hockey app doesn't symbolize Expection Stack?
    3. I have seen a issue in which every time I upload the pdb files, checksums are different & many times they don't match with the log checksum. Is it known?

Thanks,
    Gourav

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Stefan Haubold on 12 Oct, 2017 02:02 PM

Hi Gourav,

1. I also created an internal ticket to find out what the issue is and how to prevent it. So for now, yes please create a new ticket if it happens. But we are working to get to the cause of the issue.
    2. You mean the exception block on the top of the crash log? That's the same stack as the one in the threads. The exception block on the top is used first because depending on how the app binary was build there might be runtime symbols available and then it's readable without symbolication. Once we could symbolicate we only use the thread below since that contains the most information.
    3. You are uploading the same pdb and get different uuids shown on the symbol page? The "checksum" is a uuid which is stored in the pdb if you upload the same version that shouldn't happen. Do you have an example for that?

Stefan

7. 7 Posted by Adobe Systems on 12 Oct, 2017 02:05 PM

Hi Stefan,

1. Okay Indeed.
    2. I mean the content below "Exception Stack" in the log section. Do we symbolize it?
    3. Yes. Right now only for my build 43. It happened just few minutes back. https://rink.hockeyapp.net/manage/apps/582122/app_versions/14

Thanks,
    Gourav

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Stefan Haubold on 12 Oct, 2017 03:39 PM

Hi Gourav,

1. Yeah I mean the same content. So the way the SDK works is that it captures the exception and calls a "printStacktrace()" (it probably called differently) on it and puts that into Exception Stack. If you run a debug build (which is not stripped of symbols) this enough to get a readable stack. For most of the time those symbols aren't there and you get the stack like on your crashlogs. But again, it's the same trace as the one und "Thread n crashed" it's just a different way of capturing the data. The idea behind that was to have it more easier for onboarding the SDK when playing around in Visual Studio. My personal (!) opinion is that it makes it much more confusing then it would need to be for real apps which are most of the crashes we receive for UWP.
    2. I only see one file now with multiple uuids (which is expected). So you deleted a earlier version and reuploaded the same pdb and the uuids changed? Not sure anymore I did understand your initial issue.

Stefan

9. 9 Posted by Adobe Systems on 13 Oct, 2017 06:10 AM

Hi,

Yes. I have deleted files multiple times until I get the desired checksum. The files you are seeing now are the result after 3-4 adding-deletion process.

Thanks,
    Gourav

10. 10 Posted by Jamal on 17 Oct, 2017 06:59 AM

Hey if the build/package your uploading for UWP is the *.appxbundle, then you need to upload the *.appxsym not the .pdb file...

At least that's the symbol file that's been working for me. My app is an ARM build.

Give it a try.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac