Adding New Devices instructions don't work for me

Kurt Bigler

19 Mar, 2017 08:18 AM

I attempted to follow the instructions in the article
Adding New Devices to Your Provisioning Profile
https://support.hockeyapp.net/kb/client-integration-ios-mac-os-x-tvos/adding-new-devices-to-your-provisioning-profile

but they don't seem to apply to me.

So far I've been developing an app for my own use with no other testers. I am trying to add my first tester. I already managed to get Xcode (7.3.1) to recognize my device and automatically create a provisioning profile for it (I guess). All these are terms I barely understand, mind you. So I can build and run to my iPhone and it works with only an occasional hiccup.

When I get to step 9 in the instructions:
9. Confirm the list of imported devices with "Register".

The step appears to be meaningless. it didn't seem to apply to anything on the Developer site page in front of me. There is no Register button or side-bar item. I click on Devices > All, and I see the other iPhone I added alongside mine. So I figure I've somehow done step 9 and move on. I follow step 11:

11. Click on the + button, select "Ad Hoc", then click on "Continue".

I am presented with a choice and a suggestion that since I"m not using any of the special services mentioned, I can therefore use a Wildcard App Id. I click continue and "No Certificates are available". Yet Create Certificate seems inappropriate since Step 13 says "Select your certificate".

I guess I am supposed to create an App ID. But how did my first local provisioning profile work without an App ID? And do I really not want a Wildcard ID so that I can save hassles registering/provisioning every tester separately for each app I want to test?

So maybe the instructions could be fleshed out a bit to account for the fact that the people who most need the instructions are those who have never done this stuff before, and the instructions as given do not apply to us.

So I figure I need to go ahead and create an App ID. I'm trying that. I created a wildcard ID.

So basically in step 13 instead of "Select your certificate" I find myself creating one. Some other instructions I went through earlier fortunately informed me that I needed to double-click the resulting .cer file to get it in my Keychain. Now let's see if I can return to step 13. Ah the certificate is now there and I can select it.

So again, maybe the instructions need some work? Apparently what was missing was I needed to create an App ID and create a certificate for that app ID. And from my experience that situation would seem to be relevant to anyone who is faced with distributing to testers after having tested only on their own devices.

A minor point, step 20 says:
Create a build through "Project > Build & Archive".

In my Xcode (7.3.1) there is no Build & Archive. But there is Build, and there is Archive. And Apparently Archive does a build. So perhaps this just represents variations among different versions of Xcode.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Kevin Li on 20 Mar, 2017 03:14 AM

Hi Kurt,

1. Confirm the list of imported devices with "Register". The step appears to be meaningless. it didn't seem to apply to anything on the Developer site page in front of me. There is no Register button or side-bar item. I click on Devices > All, and I see the other iPhone I added alongside mine. So I figure I've somehow done step 9 and move on. I follow step 11:

The Register button is at the bottom of the Review and register page after Registering a New Device or Multiple Devices.

I am presented with a choice and a suggestion that since I"m not using any of the special services mentioned, I can therefore use a Wildcard App Id. I click continue and "No Certificates are available". Yet Create Certificate seems inappropriate since Step 13 says "Select your certificate". I guess I am supposed to create an App ID. But how did my first local provisioning profile work without an App ID? And do I really not want a Wildcard ID so that I can save hassles registering/provisioning every tester separately for each app I want to test?

You may miss a Production Certificate which is needed for Ad-Hoc provisioning profile at the beginning. When you run the app at local, you may use a development certificate and development provisioning profile which is different from the certificatie and provisioning profile which is used for Ad-Hoc. So you can't find a certificate when you create an Ad-Hoc provisioning profile. Here's a related Apple document about Maintaining Identifiers, Devices, and Profiles, hope it helps : https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/IDEs/Conc....

A minor point, step 20 says: Create a build through "Project > Build & Archive".

We will update it as soon as possible.

Best,
    Kevin

2. 2 Posted by Kurt Bigler on 21 Mar, 2017 02:47 AM

Hi, Kevin,

Thanks. I guess I missed Register even thought I was looking for it. Perhaps I clicked past something too casually in completing the previous step.

In your second paragraph I suspect you are correctly describing what I went through, in terms I wouldn't have known how to come up with. Yes I was using a Development certificate. So if I'm understanding you, I still want to underline that my point is that this article seems very relevant to people in exactly the situation I'm in. Adding New Devices is something you need to do when adding your first device. Adding your first device is very likely occurring the first time you are creating an Ad Hoc profile for distribution. Thus I think the article should account for the situation I was in, where it seems the article would help someone adding their second device after already having added one and already having a provisioning profile (probably with a device in it), but at that point maybe they don't need help any more. Does that make sense? I am proposing the article could be more useful, and that as it was it was a bit of a struggle, as the entire process of dealing with certificates has been.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Thomas Dohmke on 22 Mar, 2017 12:00 AM

Hi Kurt,

Apple has extensive documentation on this here:
    https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/IDEs/Conc...

We are working on our next generation product (Visual Studio Mobile Center) and will review how we can incorporate or refer to Apple's documentation for it.

Thanks,

Thomas

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Kevin Li on 23 Mar, 2017 02:51 AM

Hi Kurt,

We have updated this KB:Adding New Devices to Your Provisioning Profile.

Thanks for your feedback!

Best,
    Kevin

5. 5 Posted by Kurt Bigler on 23 Mar, 2017 10:29 AM

Well I did not test the updated doc by going through the process again, but from a scan it appears the changes addressed the things that were not helpful last time.

Thanks!

6. Kevin Li closed this discussion on 24 Mar, 2017 01:24 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac