How to create a new version
This how-to describes how to create a new version for an existing app on HockeyApp. If you don't have an app, please read How to create a new app first.
There are four methods to create a new version:
1. Drop .ipa or .apk on the dashboard (beta apps only)
This method only works if the bundle identifier (iOS) or package name (Android) matches the bundle identifier of the app.
Drag an .ipa file for iOS or .apk file for Android from a Finder window and drop it on the dashboard. The upload will start immediately and the progress is shown with a progress bar. When the upload is finished, the status will change to "Processing" and afterwards you are redirected to the version page.
2. Drop .ipa, .apk or .dsym on the app page (.ipa and .apk for beta apps only, .dsym for all types)
Click on the app's icon on the dashboard to load the app page. Drag an .ipa file for iOS or .apk file for Android from a Finder window (or Windows Explorer or your favorite Linux file manager) and drop it anywhere on the app page. The upload will start immediately and the progress is shown with a progress bar. When the upload is finished, the status will change to "Processing" and afterwards you are redirected to the version page.
3. Upload via API (beta apps only)
4. Manual entry (all app types)
Click on the app's icon on the dashboard to load the app page. Click on the blue "Add Version" button, then on the link "manually". Fill out the form as follows:
- Version / Version Name: optional; use for your marketing version number (e.g. 1.0)
- Build Number / Version Code: required; use incremental build numbers for each version (e.g. 1, 2, 3) and put the marketing version number into the Version field (e.g. 1.0); you can use other numbering schemes, but must ensure that the Bundle Number is different for every version.
- Accept Crash Reports: default "yes"; select "no" if HockeyApp should not accept crash reports for this version.
- Release Notes: optional; write either plain text, Textile or Markdown.
After the version has been created, you can edit it's details by clicking on the "Manage Version" button on the version page. Please note that you can not edit the bundle version or bundle short version if you have uploaded an .ipa or .apk file.
In addition, HockeyApp will automatically create a new version when a crash for your app is received and the version does not exist. The version number is taked from the crash report to create the version. For iOS and Mac you can upload the dSYM.zip and for Android the mapping.txt anytime later.